CSPS Admissions Policy
The criteria for admittance is multi-faceted and based on academic performance, personal characteristics, and a family interview. All information gleaned from the applicant’s admission file is carefully considered when making an admissions decision. CornerStone is an outreach school that accepts students regardless of parental faith assuming parental consent to Biblical teachings integrated into all school programs.
The admissions committee selects students who they feel would benefit the most from the style of educational program we offer, with academics taught from a biblical worldview. Each student admitted must maintain academic and disciplinary standards or the student will be asked to leave CornerStone Preparatory School. We reserve the right to deny entrance to any student if, in the opinion of the administration, it is in the best interest of the school and the student.
We desire to educate as many young people as possible, but we are not presently equipped to handle those with severe academic or disciplinary problems or learning disabilities. Students with diagnosed learning difficulties may be admitted with supporting documentation, depending on resources available to accommodate their needs.We strive to meet individual student learning needs through differentiated instruction; however, we may not be able to accommodate all differences. If necessary, we can make referrals to professional counseling and/or testing programs if we are unable to meet a student’s needs.
CornerStone Preparatory School makes no distinction in its admission or school policies regarding an individual student’s race, color, or national and ethnic origin. Admission decisions are at the sole discretion of CornerStone Preparatory School.
Attending CornerStone Prep is a privilege, and in order to fulfill our mission, expectations for admission include the following:
- Positive character reference for student from recent classroom teacher (K-5) or math and English teachers (6-12)
- Current record of average to above average grades (primarily ‘A’ and ‘B’) in every subject (under most circumstances, CornerStone accepts only students performing at grade level or above).
- Current achievement test results indicating on or above grade level performance in every subject**
- Current record of consistent timeliness (tardies) and attendance (absences) not due to illness or other extenuating factors
- Consistent positive behavior as noted on reference forms and student records with no suspensions or expulsions within one year of the date of action. Behavior infractions will be evaluated on a case by case basis and may require additional documentation, and does not guarantee admission. In general, students who have been expelled or asked to leave other schools will not be admitted to CornerStone Preparatory School. Such students must wait at least one year and compile a good disciplinary and academic record before their application will be considered.
- Courteous and polite behavior
- Honor and respect demonstrated towards authority
- A teachable spirit and genuine desire to learn and grow socially and academically
- A respect for God’s word and a willingness to be taught in a manner that acknowledges the Lordship of Christ over creation
- A growing ability to admit and accept responsibility for wrongs committed
- Supportive and engaged parents who have maintained healthy relationships with the administration and teachers at the student’s present school
- Parents who embrace the need for students to become active, independent learners in an age-appropriate fashion
- Parental consent to Biblical teachings integrated into all school programs
- Parents who agree to the discipline and overall program of the school as outlined in the Student/Parent handbook.
- Non-refundable $50 application fee per application.
**Students entering Kindergarten will be screened to assess language and literacy development, number concepts, motor skills, and social development. In most cases, students must score at or above a cutoff score of 80 on the Brigance III Kindergarten Readiness Screen.
If students entering grades 1-2 do not have the results of a nationally normed standardized test taken within the last twelve months, they must complete entrance testing to determine admissibility or placement.
Students in grades 3-12 must submit, either separately or in prior student records, the results of a nationally normed standardized test taken within the last twelve months (e.g. KPREP, Iowa Assessments, ACT, Terra Nova). In most cases, students must score at or above average in percentiles or grade level equivalent or “meets” or “exceeds” or “proficient” or “distinguished” in all categories. In some cases, we may also conduct our own testing to determine admissibility or placement. Students in grades 5-12 will be asked to submit a writing sample during the admissions process.
Students in grades 11-12 wishing to enter a dual credit program with Madisonville Community College must meet the eligibility requirements for that program in addition to admission requirements for CornerStone Prep.
Cornerstone Preparatory School makes no distinction in its admission or school policies regarding an individual student’s race, color, national and ethnic origin. We strive to meet individual student learning needs through differentiated instruction; however, we may not be able to accommodate all differences. If necessary, we can make referrals to professional counseling and/or testing programs if we are unable to meet a student’s needs.
Cornerstone Preparatory School does not adhere to any specific doctrine or theology in its efforts to educate our students and prepare them for life. We recognize that there are essential Christian truths as taught in the Bible by which we enrich our students’ lives. By focusing our instructional methods through the lens of a Biblical worldview, we hope to enlighten our students to these fundamental Christian truths and teach them to adhere to Christ’s teachings throughout their lives. Therefore, our staff, administration, and school board will make no efforts to promote or disparage any doctrinal or denominational beliefs, practices, or positions.
145 East Center St.
Madisonville, Kentucky 42431